What does "to align" mean?
1. To arrange in a line or so as to be parallel: align the tops of a row of pictures; aligned the car with the curb.
2. To adjust (parts of a mechanism, for example) to produce a proper relationship or orientation: aligning the wheels of a truck.
3. To ally (oneself, for example) with one side of an argument or cause: aligned themselves with the free traders.
1. To adhere to a prescribed course of action.
2. To move or be adjusted into proper relationship or orientation.
All of these definitions suggest "to align" means to make separate things relevant or to reveal relationships amongst things or parts.
This requires a very important ability. Discernment. To discern anything requires seeing division or difference, which leads to counting, comparing, contrasting, noting, and assuming perspective.
Speaking of counting...where did we get the system of numbers we use for counting and describing the various aspects of nature such as time, distance, and frequency...? Our base 10 counting obviously comes from our 10 fingers and toes. Perhaps ancient humans looked on their own body and wondered what is the highest number of "parts" they have which are easily countable. Obviously it fingers and toes. And where does all the 12 and 60's come from in our measurement of time?
For example, 60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour, 12 hours of day, 12 hours of night, 12 months of the year, 12 signs of the zodiac...etc. Using these numbers for measurement came from the ancient Sumerian system of counting(which they wrote was given to them by other wordly beings). Higher numbers (past 10) were calculated by multiplying the 12 knuckles on the fingers of one hand with the five fingers including the thumb on the other. 12 x 5 = 60. This means that many of the numbers we chose for discerning or dividing space and time were derived from relationships of the human body. Sounds like a way to make things relevant?
To learn more about all these connections definitely give this video a watch!
George is the founder of Sajeeva Yoga School, and a practitioner and teacher on the journey of exploring life, truth, purpose, and
Yoga technique, Yoga in Asia, Yoga Workshops, Teaching Methods, Asana Alignment, Yoga Tips, Breathing, awareness, mindfulness, spiritual journey, yoga lifestyle,